We can provide you or a loved one assistance getting to and from appointments.
The ability to travel around town, going wherever we want whenever we want, is a freedom that most of us enjoy. We take for granted that we can slip behind the wheel of a vehicle and drive off without giving it much thought. But for a growing portion of the elderly population, once routine outings like going to a doctor’s appointment can become a monumental challenge. Also, it’s natural to have some nervousness during an appointment and your loved one might forget something that the doctor has told them.
Another challenge is helping people with dementia navigate doctor’s appointments. They may tend to forget important information after the appointment or may not be able to navigate getting to a particular location within a larger medical building nor be able to safely wait in the waiting room by themselves.
We provide assistance door to door.
While many transportation companies will pick up your loved one and then simply drop them off at the hospital front door.
We go above and beyond by:
- 5Making the appointment at a time that works best for your loved one
- 5Going to their home to pick them up
- 5Ensuring we are bringing everything they need: ID cards, list of medications, medical records, etcetera
- 5Ensuring your loved one uses the restroom prior to leaving
- 5Accompany them during transport to their appointment
- 5Take important notes during the visit
- 5Giving them privacy during physical exams
- 5Accompany them back to their home
- 5Share important notes with their retirement facility and/or family
- 5Schedule follow-up appointments as needed
Research indicates that older individuals who are no longer able to drive attend fewer medical appointments.
Many elders look to their family members to fill this gap but driving back and forth takes a great deal of time, and frequently family may live out of state. Fortunately, we provide a service for seniors who can no longer drive themselves or are unable to manage appointments alone. Want to learn more about this service? Give us a call; we’d love to talk with you.
“They think of details that otherwise would have been forgotten. We are so thankful that they were able to help us.”
— Molly T., ECN Client